Northern Michigan Tree Doctor
Your Forestry Expert: Daniel Schillinger
State of Michigan Registered Forester, License #3301046005
Certified Arborist #MI-4099A
Certified Forest Stewardship Plan Writer
Certified Tree Farm Inspector, License #70166
Michigan State University, Bachelor of Science, Professional Forestry
Serving as a consulting forester for private landowners and environmental organizations since 2005
- Assisting landowners with sound natural resource management
- Utilizing and promoting the Forest Stewardship Program and National Tree Farm Program for tax incentives to individuals
- Work closely with landowners to manage all aspects of a timber sale
Currently retained by the Leelanau Conservation District as an independent consultant
- Provide professional advice to the district regarding forest health and management
- Spearhead educational programs at area schools
- By-line Leelanau Enterprise Newspaper articles regarding forestry issues pertinent to area residents
Worked as the District Forester for both Grand Traverse and Leelanau County Conservation Districts from 2005 – 2007.
- Assist private landowners with sound natural resource management techniques, including management plans.
- Inspect woodlots before, during and after timber sales to ensure wise use and sustained yield of timber products, adherence to timber sale contract and a fair price paid to the landowner.
- Educate people throughout the region about their natural world by leading hikes for kids through various County trails, updating landowners through radio programs and newspaper articles about forest health practices and proper times to execute management actions.
- Present information to the public on proper plants to choose for each soil type, hands on planting demonstrations, proper woodland/resource management, invasive species identification and control, native plant identification and propagation.
Led a grant-based study on hardwood dispersal into red pine stands in the Manistee National Forest.
- Michigan State University Forest Ecology Lab Project, Manager and Research Technician 2002 – 2004